Re: [Scheme-reports] [r6rs-discuss] Scheme pattern matching & R*RS

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 12:39 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Per Bothner scripsit:
>
> > The (default/preferred) syntax for lambda should do pattern-matching
> > *without* having to use a verbose name like match-lambda*.  I don't
> > want either of these:
> > (1) People learning and using Scheme having to mix 2 sets of
> > keywords depending on whether they want to use pattern-matching.
> > (2) Having to use keywords that are *even more* verbose than R6RS.
>
> I quite agree.  However, I don't think it's too great an imposition
> to ask people to write (import (scheme patterns)) at the top of their
> code in order to get pattern-matching lambda, define, let, let*, etc.
> That disposes of your point 2, and I don't understand your point 1
> unless it is another way of stating your point 2.  Are you objecting
> to syntactic keywords having different significance in different parts
> of the code?
>
> What is more, in R7RS (as currently proposed) a REPL may auto-import
> whatever set of modules the implementer chooses, so it is conformant to
> provide pattern matching in the REPL automagically.

Exactly. I would also hate having to know about the difference between
non-pattern-matching and pattern-matching forms. I think we should
consider regular Scheme variable binding in (lambda) and in (let) as a
special case of pattern matching. Because of this, we should let
(define) as it is I'm afraid.

Its already a better style to always use (define var (lambda args ...))
rather than (define (var . args) body ...) - separation of concerns the
first thing coming to mind...

> > If we did this, we should also allow GREEK SMALL LETTER LAMBDA.  In fact,
> > it would be preferable, I think, as it has a standard HTML escape: λ

In my Emacs v23 (Ubuntu Linux), this letter resolved to "l" (as did the
*LAMDA version), not something like 𝝺 .

> I agree that this character is more suitable, as it will normally
> adjust to the font you are using for the rest of your code.  Note that,
> in accordance with modern Greek orthography, the formal spelling of the
> character's name is always LAMDA.
>
> > (Neither, alas, seems to have a standard compose-key binding, though
> > perhaps we could lobby X.org to have the greek letters added.  For example
> > lambda == compose+g+l, using "g" as a prefix for Greek letters.)
>
> Sounds good to me.
>

> > > Concerning the other half of your mail, I would like to keep (define)
> > > orthogonal to (lambda), i.e., using a syntax like this (also using LIGHT
> > > VERTICAL BAR, i.s.o | because in some implementations | is reader's
> > > special quotation)
> >
> > Those two characters are too similar to each other.

Its the difference between |vs.❘ (| is found on your keyboard resp.
❘ from Unicode). Is | also special to other implementations of Scheme?