Re: [Scheme-reports] Identifiers imported "by reference or value"?

Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x> writes:

> Unfortunately implementations differ here, and the
> goal was that R7RS libraries be able to map directly
> to native implementation libraries.

I see, I guess the only portable way of "exporting mutable state" from a
module so far is to define a getter/setter pair then.

I actually like this now that I think of it; having a variable's value
change "spontaneously" after a procedure-call is not nice, it should be
limited to special situations like module reloading and debugging
sessions.  (I know that's stepping way outside R7RS-small.)

Presumably such use-cases should be using parameters anyway, I guess.

> This is an artifact of pre-R7RS semantics in Chibi. It
> can be configured at compile time such that there is
> only one binding, and Marc's test program will print 12
> then 13. Probably I should make this the default
> configuration (the "strict" keyword matching option
> mentioned earlier actually forces this).

Thanks for the clarification!

Taylan