Re: [Scheme-reports] R7RS large process discussion WAS Re: final draft of the R7RS small language

Kevin Wortman scripsit:

> The pages on trac.sacrideo.us/wg/ had led me to believe that the first
> step in proposing something was to post to
> scheme-reports-wg2@x and that substantive technical
> discussion would happen there. But after reading this thread, my
> present understanding is that the first step is to write up a SRFI
> proposal and submit it to srfi-editors@x If and when
> the SRFI is granted "final" status, someone can propose to
> scheme-reports-wg2@x that the SRFI be included in
> R7RS-large. Is that correct?

Those are semi-independent events.  Anyone can add something to
InputDocket with or without a concrete proposal, or post to the WG2
list, in which case I will add the idea to InputDocket with a link
to the proposal if there is one.  For this purpose, proposals can be
quite informal, even just links to existing Schemes's documentation,
but you could also propose a specific existing SRFI or R6RS chapter
for inclusion as-is or with minor corrections.  Eventually, the WG must
decide whether to move stuff from InputDocket (which is just a hopper)
to an actionable docket.

Then, of course, anyone can propose a SRFI following the regular SRFI
process, whether they have R7RS-large in mind or not.  What is more,
any SRFI will be finalized if it meets the process requirements and the
creator requests finalization, so having a SRFI finalized is basically
the decision of just one person.

In the end, we don't vote on a proposal for inclusion unless (a)
we have a SRFI in hand, and (b) we have voted to add the proposal to
StandardDocket (or it's been added by unanimous consent procedure to
either StandardDocket or ConsentDocket).  But the order in which those
things happen is not important.

I hasten to add that none of this procedure is official yet.

--
One Word to write them all,             John Cowan <cowan@x>
  One Access to find them,              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan