Re: [Scheme-reports] Strong win later reversed: Real numbers have imaginary part #e0

Mark H Weaver scripsit:

> There are several other ways of checking for this, such as:
>
>   (eqv? 1.0+0.0i 1.0+0i)
>
> and
>
>   (eqv? (make-rectangular 1.0 0.0)
>         (make-rectangular 1.0 0))

Those are also consistent with (make-rectangular x 0) simply returning
a flonum.

> For the three implementations I mentioned (Guile 2, Racket, and Ikarus)
> the expressions above return #f.

I tried the 45 Schemes (less those with no make-rectangular support) with
this expression:

(let
  ((m (make-rectangular 2.0 2))
   (z (make-rectangular 2.0 0)))
     (list m z (real? m) (real? z)))

All the Schemes, except those which don't support make-rectangular, replied
either (2.0+2i 2.0 #f #t) or (2.0+2.0i 2.0 #f #t), which is consistent
with all implementations not even returning a rectnum or compnum for z,
but a simple flonum.  This is quite independent of how eqv? behaves.

This behavior is required by ANSI CL, function COMPLEX.

--
John Cowan    cowan@x    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Objective consideration of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion