[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Scheme-reports] Formal Comment: Change syntax of symbols from |<symbol element>*| to #"<string element>*"
- To: Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x>
- Subject: Re: [Scheme-reports] Formal Comment: Change syntax of symbols from |<symbol element>*| to #"<string element>*"
- From: Arthur Smyles <atsmyles@x>
- Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:36:40 -0400
- Cc: John Cowan <cowan@x>, scheme-reports@x
- In-reply-to: <CAMMPzYNjyQ1MZfRKRfWXVEN3Ykj=4g-Kec68bwrDVqv8dDbqqA@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <22930691.362813.1331590362344.JavaMail.root@vznit170130> <20120313002748.GC23279@mercury.ccil.org> <4F5EA889.email@example.com> <CAMMPzYNjyQ1MZfRKRfWXVEN3Ykj=4g-Kec68bwrDVqv8dDbqqA@mail.gmail.com>
A survey to see what other implementations use #"..." for would be
useful. My impression is that it is rarely used. Given that eggs will be
broken, whichever way the working group decides, I believe it is better
to reduce the amount of special characters to allow maximum flexibility
for naming in the identifier lexical space. Also, given the fact that
the working group believes it is necessary to standardize literal
symbols and not bytestrings, it is further evidence that #"..." for
symbols should be considered a higher priority use.
On 3/12/12 10:08 PM, Alex Shinn wrote:
> #"..." is a bytestring in Racket, and possibly some other
> implementations. Gauche has string extensions for #*"..."
> and #`...` (which is also quasisyntax in R6RS). #|...| is
> used by SRFI-30 and the current draft.
> There are not a whole lot of character sequences left,
> though that in itself is an argument not to take too many
> just for string escapes.
Scheme-reports mailing list