Re: [Scheme-reports] What happened to (UNQUOTE <expression> ...)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011, Alex Shinn wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Andre van Tonder <andre@x> wrote:
>> and (unquote-splicing <expression> ...)?
>>
>> In other words, more than one argument to UNQUOTE(-SPLICING).
>>
>> These were added in R6RS to fix some well-known shortcomings of quasiquote.
>> The issue and the R6RS solution had been known for a long time and were
>> discussed by many authors for many years before being adopted.
>> I for one liked the change and probably have code that depends on it.
>
> It looks reasonable to me, but could you point us
> to the discussions or rationales?
>
> Specifically, how is (unquote-splicing a b c) different from

I think the issue is a little more complex that this, it has to do with the
fact that nested unquote-splicing was accidentally broken in Scheme, but since I
don't remember the details offhand, let me quote Al* Petrofsky on this issue.
By the way, the solution he suggests was not the one adopted for R6RS - instead
I think R6RS adopted the Chez fix he mentions, probably becasue it is more
backwards compatible and there was more experience with it.

Anyway, here is Petrofsky's discussion: