Re: [Scheme-reports] Formal Comment: clarify library loading rules

John Cowan <cowan@x> wrote:

> Richard Kelsey scripsit:
>> Regardless of the number of times that a library is loaded,
>> each program or library that imports bindings from a library
>> will receive bindings from a single loading of that library,
>> of the number of the number of import or cond-expand forms
>> in which it appears.
>
> This is a substantive change, so ballot ticket #441 filed.

I would like to point out that this is incompatible with existing
practice on Scheme implementations which instantiate a unique
library instance for every phase of expansion. Putting this
requirement into WG1 would preclude WG2 from considering or
allowing library systems which use multiple instantiation semantics
for libraries.

Personally I do not like or use multiple instantiation semantics,
but this is a very substantive change, and should not be considered
lightly, and I think it should not be considered at all for WG1.
In the same way that guaranteed loading of libraries should also
be off the table. Both of these changes are too radical against
existing practice, though against differing implementations.

--
Aaron W. Hsu | arcfide@x | http://www.sacrideo.us
Programming is just another word for the lost art of thinking.