Re: [Scheme-reports] fresh empty strings

Mark H Weaver scripsit:

> Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that there are two
> different things being allocated by `string':
>
> * The characters.

Characters might or might not be allocated; commonly characters are
implemented as immediate values, and even if they aren't immediate,
they behave as if they are, because they are immutable.

> * The string object itself, which denotes the length and the locations
>   of the characters.

Yes.

> Although an empty string denotes no locations, the string object still
> must have a location in the store, at least in a semantic sense.  If it
> didn't, it would not be possible to refer to it.

Bignums occupy space in the store, but they are not *locations* in the
technical sense of the report.

--
Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers            John Cowan
Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan